Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Is this thing on?

Today I had a life lesson bring meaning to a school lesson of my freshman year:

I was at work today and it occurred to me that I needed to use the restroom. This is nothing new. I try to keep hydrated as much as possible throughout the day and that is what happens when one drinks as much water as I tend to. The whole process becomes so mindless because it becomes so repetitive. I walked briskly down the stairs to the restrooms, most likely humming a song a daydreaming about being in my own Broadway musical. It probably went something like this:

(Picture you are in my head hearing me sing. Orchestra is swelling. Audiences are tearing.)

But alone is aloooooooone, not a-liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (BAM!)

That bam we hear, and the slight pain that accompanies it, is me walking into the bathroom door. Today it didn't open because the humidity made the door swell just enough that you had to break the seal.

My freshman acting teacher told our class that he never goes the same way to work, especially if he is acting in a show. He never really elaborated and I had assumed that it was just a superstition thing. But it all came together when I hit the heavy metal door.

Always stay in the moment. Don't be like the crunchy people that walk around Whole Foods in a daze, completely unaware of their surroundings.

No comments: