Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lazy Weekend

I could not be more happy to sit around and do nothing this weekend. It's hot, and it is the perfect time to laze about.

As is customary for me on lazy hot days, I started to crave one of my favorite recipes ever. The craving comes hard, and I must make it. Once on a 90 degree day, my roommate and I sucked it down and were dripping sweat. It tasted so good and we couldn't stop no matter how we suffered. Now when it gets ridiculously hot out, we call it black bean soup weather.

It all started back in 2005, when I would spend my Saturday mornings glued to the Food Network. I would soak in episodes of Rachael Ray, Ellie Krieger and Dave Lieberman. Dave was all about being able to make good food for less money, and being a pauper I thoroughly enjoyed that. When he made his  black bean soup, I knew immediately that I had to make it.

Mmmmm. Bacon.
The first ingredient is bacon. Though I am trying to eat less meat, I will always love anything that has bacon in it.

Being that I have high blood pressure, I have substituted no salt added vegetable stock and used a half a box of Pomi chopped tomatoes because they have no sodium. Also, for a little kick, I added a chipotle that was in adobo.

I paired the soup with a salad of romaine, scallions and cherry tomatoes.  It made for the perfect lazy day meal.

No comments: